Troy Post-Judgment Modifications Lawyers

Because life circumstances continue to change following the end of a marital or nonmarital relationship, Michigan law allows for modifications to existing orders regarding child custody and parenting time, child support, and spousal support. An individual may petition the court for a modification if circumstances have changed significantly and warrant a modification. For example, the loss of a job or a significant increase or decrease in income could warrant a modification to child support.

Modifications also may be necessary to accommodate significant changes in a child’s needs. A serious illness, injury or disability may result in additional medical costs that require modifying child support. Similarly, if one parent has health issues or there is evidence of substance abuse or child abuse, it may be necessary to modify an existing child custody or visitation agreement.

The experienced family law attorneys at Sakis & Sakis, PLC, in Troy assist individuals in pursuing or defending against post-judgment modifications. We have thorough knowledge of the circumstances the court recognizes as sufficient enough to modify existing orders.

The Importance Of Making Modifications Official

Oftentimes, parents work out changes to existing child support or custody agreements on their own. Even if you and your child’s other parent have agreed to changes, it is important to have them approved by the court. Failure to do so could result in a dispute later if one party decides to adhere to the original court order.

A petition to modify an existing agreement may stem from one parent’s interest in relocating. Under Michigan law, a custodial parent who wants to move more than 100 miles away from the child’s other parent must obtain permission from the non-relocating parent or petition the court for approval. As with original child custody decisions, the court will consider what is in the best interests of the child when deciding whether or not to allow a custodial parent to relocate.

Contact Sakis & Sakis, PLC

Petitions to change child custody or otherwise modify existing court orders can take several months to resolve. It is important to contact an experienced Michigan modifications lawyer as soon as possible. We welcome the opportunity to answer your questions regarding modifications and provide a straightforward assessment during a free, no-obligation consultation. Call 248-649-1160 or email us to schedule an appointment.